A young family were rushed to hospital after escaping a frightening blaze in their home caused by an overheated tumble dryer.
Firefighters from Paisley and Renfrew stations raced to Schaw Road, in the Gallowhill area of Paisley, at around 12.15pm Sunday after receiving reports of smoke billowing out of a ground floor home.
Luckily, the family who live at the address – who have asked not to be identified – were able to escape past the smoking tumble dryer at the front door and out onto the street before it was too late.
However, the family, including a young child, were taken to Paisley’s Royal Alexandra Hospital, where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
Yesterday, the family had been moved to a hotel to stay while their gutted home was being cleared out.
A spokesman for Strathclyde Fire & Rescue told the Paisley Daily Express: “Crews from Paisley and Renfrew community fire stations responded to reports of a fire at a Schaw Road property.
“Arriving less than four minutes after receiving an emergency call from a member of the public, firefighters entered the building in full breathing apparatus.
“The team used a high pressure hosereel jet to douse the flames, which had taken hold of the property.
“Strathclyde Fire & Rescue personnel treated one man for slight smoke inhalation, with an ambulance called to take him to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.
“A woman and small child were also taken to the hospital for precautionary check-ups.”
Firefighters said the incident shows how fire can strike anywhere and is a stark reminder of the need for every home to have at least one working smoke alarm.
Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay, the director of Community Safety for Strathclyde Fire & Rescue, added:” “In the event of a fire, a smoke alarm will give you, and your family vital life-saving minutes to escape safely.
“If you, or someone you know, doesn’t have a working smoke alarm I would urge you to fit one immediately or call Strathclyde Fire & Rescue on 0800 0731 999.
“We will supply and fit long-life smoke alarms and a heat alarm free of charge.”
To arrange a free home fire safety visit for you or someone you know, call Strathclyde Fire & Rescue on 0800 0731 999 or text ‘check’ to 61611.
You can also get in touch by calling your local community fire station.